Sunday, January 17, 2010

HIRED AND FIRED...

"Telephone is switched off," is a message we get very often these days. Somestimes, your cell phone may indicate:"connection error". To me, these messages have some other import. When I receive such messages from a cell phone of a 'new generation' company executive or manager, often I presume that he has left the services of the company.

He may be "out of range" for some days. Afterwards he may send a terse message noting the new cell phone number. It means, he has joined a new job.

From somewhere he is fired. Elsewhere he is hired.

.

When a cell phone goes on ringing and is not attended repeatedly, there is a tacit message in store for me. An imminent danger of 'fire' is then smelt. With a fair degree of accuracy there is the forecast that the services of the concerned person are being switched off… That's how some companies work these days. It is easy to get a job. Quite easily he may be fired too.

.

One day I was making my usual telephone call to an insurance office. I was told from the other end, she was leaving that job. She requested for my help for a new placement.

I said, I didn't know anybody. But I promised to do something.

.

I talked to a friend of mine. He is the country head of an insurance company. When I talked to him over telephone,I particularly noted a 'pause' in his talk. For a moment he paused and suggested that I talked to his regional chief. Maybe, he didn't deal with such matters directly. Moreover he also knew that the regional chief of the company was personally known to me. It is a fact that I knew him but I didn't want to approach him with a recommendation.

.

The job aspirant was a smart girl. She had in the meantime directly approached the local branch centre of the company and secured the job without anybody's intervention.

.

A couple of weeks elapsed.

I received an invitation from the local office of the insurance company. The occasion was the inauguration of the branch centre. Inauguration was to be done by my friend.

.

On the day of inauguration, he came by a morning flight from Mumbai.

After the inauguration ceremony I introduced to my friend the new employee working in his office.

The regional head of the company was also with the chief when I introduced the employee.

.

"She is Ms. so and so," I said. "It was for her sake I had talked to you," I told him.

My friend only smiled.

But his regional head overheard my talk. Suddenly he rose to the occasion. Promptly seized of the opportunity.

He was in a mood to please his chief.

So he made the announcement: "yes, yes….I did it".

.

I could not help wondering how he had done it without even knowing the girl prior to her appointment. That was at best the aggressive claim of a marketing man. Nothing beyond that. I had only made a casual reference to my friend about the person seeking the job. No name or any other details were ever given to him. I didn't also meet or talk to his regional chief any time. Then how is it that he made this appointment!

.

The fact was that this girl had secured the job on her own. Nobody else had really intervened.

She got this job. After a couple of months she left the job also on her own only to join another new generation company!

….

When I heard the claim of the regional chief, I remembered a girl who had come to attend an interview in my office.

Then she had stayed at my place. Attended the interview. She got the job also purely on her own merits.

But she sincerely believed that she got the job because of my efforts.

For many years thereafter she used to come to my place with sweets.

***




http://windows.microsoft.com/shop Find the right PC for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment