Thursday, February 4, 2010

A BIG SECRET!

.

My friend's house remained closed for over a couple of months. He had moved to his native town. Practically he had shifted all his furniture and other household items. But there remained a few more items to be transported.

One night his house was burgled. Hearing some noise, my neighbour called me. Before we could reach there, the intruder had left the house keeping the doors opened. Police was called in. Since the house remained unoccupied and the owner was not available, police kept vigil for the whole night.

My friend reached the place next day morning. Police left the spot after asking the owner to come to the police station and formally lodge a complaint.

.

Then it was the turn of my friend. He made a thorough search of the whole house. He ensured that he had not lost anything and the curious onlookers in the locality left the place when my friend openly declared this fact.

.

After a while he came to me. He ensured that there was nobody else. And with some hesitation, and taking the promise that I should not divulge it to anybody and with an introduction that he was telling this to me alone, he said: "My son had kept around three thousand rupees inside one of his note books in the book shelf. That is safe."

.

I wondered what was the element of secrecy to be kept in this revelation. After all the burglar had left. He must have carried a poor impression about the owner. He must have also felt bad for the owner did not leave anything in the house to be taken away.

It was true that his son had kept a few currency notes inside a book. It was also a happy point that this amount remained safe. This fact could have been told to anybody too.

.

In fact I just could not help wishing. I thought as a good friend of mine, he should have shown the mercy of sparing me. Yes, sparing me from the burden of keeping such a matter as a secret throughout my life!

** *



Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment