Monday, February 22, 2010

A FOOTPATH MARKET SCENE.

.

Some gangsters selling cameras to pedestrians moving through the footpath market at Fort in Mumbai had tricked me into buying a defective camera. 

 

I was to return to my native town next day.  I had some money left in my pocket.  And this was the reason why I thought of buying something.  Since cameras had a fascination for me from my childhood days, I became an easy prey to these gangsters who tried to sell cameras or something of that description.

 

Quite easily the gangsters mesmerised me into buying a camera.  When I returned to the office guest house I found that it was a defective piece which one would throw away rather than using it.  Clearly they had played a trick on me.

 

I returned to the market place. This time I was very careful.  Before setting out, I took all precautions.  Removed practically everything and of course all valuables from my body.  My wrist watch, purse containing money – I had kept everything in my guest house room.

 

I moved through the footpath market once again in lonely search of those tricksters who had hoodwinked me.

 

I found them out soon. They were in fact goons. I knew it would be dangerous to deal with them.  So I was very careful.

 

They threatened me. They pretended they had nothing to do with it.  They said sale was over.  They said nothing could be done about the same. At times they abused me. They frowned at me.

 

One moment they offered some refund.  But next moment they withdrew the offer. They paid me some money.  Then they took it back for no reason.

 

I was really going through an ordeal.  It was a difficult situation.  A harrowing experience.

 

At the end of the whole drama staged near the Flora Fountain, however, I was emerging successful in getting at least a major portion of the money.

 

Then I heaved a sigh of relief. Jumped in sheer joy.  I got into the nearest  beer parlor.  Gulped down a full bottle of chilled beer. Then I returned a cool man to my guest house room.

 

Yes, it was a case of sheer presence of mind. 

 

And nothing else, I can assure you!



 


 





Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment