Thursday, January 21, 2010

NO TAKERS FOR JOBS !

This time I decided to place a few extra chairs in my front office. Front office had enough chairs to accommodate normal visitors. But I anticipated a reasonable rush of candidates for job.

The ad in the local newspaper about job vacancy appeared only yesterday. Since then my cell phone had been ringing continuously. Calls from far and near. Both men and women. They asked me the details of job. Salary that could be expected. Office timings. Other prospects. They were all asking me the same question over and over. I had been giving the same reply too.

.

I took pains to explain all the details to all candidates. I offered the aspirants for job the same salary and same working conditions. The previous employee was happy with these conditions. And this time too I didn't anticipate any problems. It was my hope there would be a number of applicants.

My anticipation was proving to be reasonably correct. If the number of telephone calls received was any indication, the response was really good. An encouraging one.

I gave interview appointments to the applicants over telephone itself. Some of the candidates appeared to meet job criteria as per details given during telephonic discussion. They were called for interview in the morning session itself. Less favoured candidates were called for the after noon session. Out of about 100 telephonic calls received, I had short listed about 30 candidates. Even from this list, I had finally called about 20 candidates only. They were sure to come for interview next day.

.

Early morning itself I was getting ready. My wife also reminded me about the candidates coming for interview.

I set out early. When I reached the office, watchman greeted me. Asked why I reached office so early. I didn't say anything. Just smiled.

Immediately as I reached my office, I asked my office help to place more chairs in the front office. At least nobody should stand while I interviewed the candidates. That was my intention.

.

Then I quietly occupied my seat.

I looked at the clock.

It was 9.25 am. It was 9.30 am. It was 9.45 am. Minutes ticked away.

When it was 10 o'clock, it was quite sure that none from my favoured list had turned up.

But even then, I continued to sit. I was growing a little impatient but still hopeful. I consoled myself, maybe people were in the habit of reaching late.

By noon none had turned up. And I felt that surely by evening it was going to be a total shock for me. I had my fears.

Oh! after a while I saw a lady in her middle ages coming to the office. I thought she could be a candidate. Then I remembered that I had not called anybody of her age. Still I had a bright hope in my mind she would be a candidate for interview.

But she shocked me. Rudely so. She just asked if she could use toilet facilities in the office!

.

Alas when I was about to rise for the day, a couple of candidates appeared on the scene. But both of them did not answer the job requirements. By then I was a sad, disappointed man…

.

Finally a young boy appeared on the scene. He was an undergraduate doing distance education. He said he had gone to the city corporation office to collect unemployment allowance.

There was no scope for an interview.

Say yes or no was the question.

……

In the evening I returned home. I was totally a tired man. Alone in my car, I drove past the pedestrians and the city crowds. When I reached the city corporation office, the queue of the unemployed was still there. They were all waiting to receive unemployment allowance given by the government to the jobless persons.

.

But elsewhere surely no takers for jobs!

** *** *



http://windows.microsoft.com/shop Find the right PC for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment